Elderlands Forums
Elderlands Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
 All Forums
 Lothgar Online
 Lothgar Online Suggestions
 Diversity
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Kacidest
Stygian Newborn

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2018 :  11:37:49 AM  Show Profile Send Kacidest a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have only played the test server because the LO server shut down a day or two before I found this game, so since the game looks a lot like Dransik I will base these suggestions from that game.

Magic
This is one thing that seemed pretty neglected in dransik. When I first started playing dransik, I was also playing another game called EUO. It had a pretty neat magic system. You learned spells that consisted of 1-4 words. You would press c to cast and a chat box would pop up. Letters had hotkeyed words, for example if you pressed m, it would automatically type the word "manni" in the chat box. I propose something similar, except that you have to type the magic words in your local area chat box. This way your character actually has to stop moving to cast the spell. Not only that, but other people will know what spell is being cast (but only if they know what the words mean). It also adds adds a unique mechanic. Mage classes would rely on how fast you are able to type. For the love of God, don't do the cooldown bar as in WoW. Cast the spell, click on a target, or spell effects combat target, or both even.

Feats
This game needs feats, and lots of them. Back when I played Dransik, you didnt even have to ask people about their character build. All stats in str, then all stats in con. My very first character, I started out putting some points into dex and was advised by everyone to make a new character. Some feat ideas? Well, there are some necessary ones that all feat style lists contain, like extra stat points, extra hit points, element resistance, damage resistance. Remember earlier about the magic words being bound to certain keystrokes? Add that as an ability gained after unlocking a feat. Add the ability to be able to move around while typing. Add the ability to use ctrl-v in chat as a kind of spell quickening. Add a feat that lets you target more than one enemy, mostly for spells but you could also add a feat that allows you to physically attack multiple adjacent enemies. Add a feat that gives you a character stat and/or feat reset. Put a point into the reset feat and reset all stats and/or feats except for the points in the reset feat. Add a feat that lets you cast spells in whisper chat, and its counterpart a feat that lets you hear whisper chat (at least one that lets you hear spell words cast in whisper chat). Add a feat that changes the magic words that a player has spoken into the spell name. Add a feat that gives the ability to craft magic items (more on magic items later). The more feats you add, the more diverse your characters can be, this will cause players to make more than one character, which could greatly increase the chance and frequency of coin purchases.

Spells
I only ever saw two spells, light and healing. This was a bit of a disappointment because mage is probably my favorite class. I would love to see a diversity of spell types as well. The damage spells alone are are usually split up into at a minimum of three (fire, ice, lightning) elements, but you can always add many more like earth, water, air, generic magic damage, psychic, dark, even holy that would let you cast cure spells on friends and maybe even damage undead creatures. I mean, I'm not saying do pokemon, but... do pokemon lol. Now that we have the spell types out of the way, lets move on to spell actions. Damage spells can have different kinds of actions. Cast a spell on an enemy/friend. Cast a spell on all enemies/friends. Spell bounces to adjacent target(s) (chain lightning). Spells that target multiple (plus feat bonus) enemies. Aoe spells that effects an area chosen by a mouse click. Aoe spells that effect all tiles adjacent to you. Cleric spells are very useful. I think we can skip over the obvious healing magics. Basically heal damage, heal debuffs, cure poison, maybe even bonuses to attack. Summoning magic could put all those element types to work as well. Support spells are pretty necessary as well. Bonus to attack and/or damage, light, maybe a weight reduction spell, bonus to armor, temp bonus to stats... A lot of these could be like having a temporary bonus from a feat.

Stats
The good thing about having all of these feats and spells is having stat reqs. I would also like to see a few more stats, like luck and charisma. Maybe even wisdom. Also, I have always found the measly two orbs a bit disappointing. I'd love to see at least 3, or more if you add any new stats. It would also be nice to see dex increase movement speed. Speaking of movement...

Movement
I dont really mind the slot based movement system, but I think it might be driving other players away. I really didnt care for the movement system in Elderlands though. I was thinking maybe combine the two. Have the character still move slot style, but have the screen scroll like elderlands rather than dransik. Think of it was you are actually moving the frame around, and the character follows in a slot by slot walk style. As I said, dex could improve walking speed, and you could even add debuffs due to heavy armor or too much weight in backpack.

Items
I love the D100 roll. I think you may have done this in elderlands, but its been long time since I played that. Just look at Diablo for an example. They had the basic set of weapons, then they had an exceptional and elite versions of each of those weapons. Each of those weapons also have different levels of enchantments. They have increasing quality and quantity of magic abilities depending on their level of enchantment being magic, rare, unique, or sets which included extra bonuses depending on how many pieces of that set you have.

Targeting
I talked about spells being able to target more than one creature, but I would like to go in a different direction with this. Simply put, think Final Fantasy Tactics. This would go great with feats/class abilities with the fighter and for the spells that the mages cast. You could have abilities for the fighter that would turn your mouse cursor into a pattern of squares, and the ability (or spell in the case of a mage), would do damage to all enemies in those squares. And the squares could form a pattern like a square of 4 squares, a line of 4 squares, a v shape made of 5 squares, and x shape, etc...

Well, I think thats about it. Personally, I would love to see any if not all of these features added to the game. I know it is a lot of tedious work typing out 100's of different magic names but just remember that a lot of it can be reused, like the spells that give the same bonus as a feat or the magical properties on an item.

I'm a binary thinker. Either get over it, or don't.

Edited by - Kacidest on 02/08/2018 11:42:02 AM

Segarus
Stygian Knight

Iceland
753 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2018 :  10:57:47 PM  Show Profile Send Segarus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My relief when I opened this, and it had nothing to do with social justice :) *bah dum tss*
Go to Top of Page

Kacidest
Stygian Newborn

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2018 :  7:06:38 PM  Show Profile Send Kacidest a Private Message  Reply with Quote
<--- not a snowflake lol

I'm a binary thinker. Either get over it, or don't.
Go to Top of Page

Segarus
Stygian Knight

Iceland
753 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2018 :  05:50:45 AM  Show Profile Send Segarus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kacidest

<--- not a snowflake lol

lol :)
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Elderlands Forums © Asylumsoft, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000